DAY 01: ARRIVE PARO – THIMPHU
DAY 02: THIMPHU
DAY 03: THIMPHU – PUNAKHA
DAY 04: PUNAKHA
DAY 05: PUNAKHA – PARO
DAY 06: PARO
DAY 07: DEPART PARO
The Druk Wangyel Festival was established in 2011 in commemoration of His Majesty the Fourth Druk Gyalpo and the Armed Forces’ victory over Indian insurgent forces residing in southern Bhutan in 2003. The Tsechu takes place every December 13th at the Druk Wangyel Lhakhang Festival Ground located at Dochula Pass around 22km from the capital city Thimphu. The Druk Wangyel Tshechu is a unique festival in that it is performed by the Royal Bhutan Army rather than monks or lay people. It is a tribute to the wise leadership of His Majesty Jigme Singye Wangchuck, the Fourth King of Bhutan. It also celebrates the continuous efforts of the Royal Bhutan Army in protecting the sovereignty and the stability of the country.
Her Majesty the Queen Mother Ashi Dorji Wangmo Wangchuck is the founder and patron of the Druk Wangyel Festival. Druk Wangyel Lhakhang, the venue for the festival, and the 108 Khangzang Chortens at the Dochula Pass were also built by Her Majesty. Dochula Pass is located at an altitude of 3,116m, and is one of the most scenic locations in the entire kingdom, offering a stunning panoramic view of the Himalayan mountain range. The close proximity of this festival to Paro and Thimphu makes it ideal for those with limited time looking to experience a Bhutanese festival as well as the unique cultural experiences that Bhutan has to offer.
DRUK WANGYEL TSECHU TOUR
Witness the celebration of traditional Bhutanese culture and faith and Druk Wangyel Festival (Tsechu), held in the grounds of the at the Druk Wangyel Lhakhang Festival Ground located at Dochula Pass against a stunning vista of Himalayan peaks. This Bhutan tour also explores all of the highlights of Bhutan’s western valleys, including the famous Taktsang Monastery at Paro, Punakha Dzong, and the many sites of Bhutan;s capital, Thimphu.
- Witness unique dances and rituals performed by the Royal Bhutan Army rather than monks or lay people.
- Join in with locals in a special occasion of celebration, blessings and socialising.
- Discover some of the most sacred Buddhist monasteries and temples in the Himalaya.
- Visit many cultural attractions including medieval fortresses (Dzongs), markets and museums.
- Hike up to the famous Taktsang Monastery, perched on a cliff 900m above the valley floor.
- Marvel at the elaborate and ancient wall paintings and carvings in Dzongs and temples.
- Traverse beautiful landscapes from lush valleys to dense forests.
- Incorporate a Value-Added Option such as a cooking lesson or meditation session with a monk.
BHUTAN TOUR DATES:
All of our Bhutan tours are private, tailor-made journeys for independent travel on dates of your choosing. We can easily customise your Bhutan tour to spend more in the places doing the activities that you are interested in. Please click on the ‘Tailor-Design This Tour’ tab above to begin customising this tour to your requirements. This tour can be experienced all year around.
WHAT WE INCLUDE IN OUR TAILOR MADE BHUTAN TOURS:
- Airfare into Bhutan including taxes.
- Bhutan Tourist Tariff Royalty & Visa fees.
- All private excursions and transfers in superior air-conditioned vehicle.
- Local English speaking guide/tour leader.
- Experienced driver.
- Accommodation in carefully selected, highest standard goverment approved hotels & guesthouses.
- All meals in Bhutan.
- All entrance fees and permits.